Sep 8, 2017

Calendar Show and Tell + Coasters

I finally got my mother's calendar design completed for next year, and in between that and my day job I also created some additional PDF calendar files with different options that have been requested. I will be sharing the other options I have available, which are now listed in my Etsy Store, in the next post.

On to the fun. I designed my calendar to go on a 4X4 coaster. Because my mother likes to have one that sits on top of her cubicle shelf I wanted to make sure the back side was decorative as well this time around. That way other people in the office aren't seeing the back of a frame.
I found this dream block at Hobby Lobby, one of the rare ones that was a solid piece (and just happened to be the perfect size to fit two coasters). I found these magnetic strips at Walmart for $1.97 that I stuck to the back of the block. I wanted to be able to send her this piece at Christmas and then make it easy for her to replace the calendar every month when I sent it to her. I could have done the whole year at once but she really looks forward to opening up a new calendar every month.
Then I decorated my coaster with designer paper. Since my coasters were 4 x 4 I cut my paper to 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 and trimmed the sides after I adhered it, just in case I got my paper on crooked I had some leeway. I used the nail board to buff the edges all the way around.
I did put a backer on my calendar that measured 3 7/8 x 2 7/8 before I popped it up with dimensionals to the front of my coaster. Once decorated I put another strip of magnet onto the back of the coasters. Oddly enough those strips were an exact fit in length and I didn't even have to trim them. I probably didn't need that much but I just went with it.
Every month she should be able to just pop one off and then pop the other on without any fuss. The other thing that I am doing this year is making her a matching pen with the leftover designer paper.
It turned out super cute, I'm really happy with it. I'm curious to hear what your plans are for making the calendars, I'm already looking for ideas for the 2019 design! I like to change it up every year.

4x4 Heavy Weight Paperboard Coasters - Great for any crafty project you can come up with, but especially awesome to make coaster calendars!
I am offering a share on these coasters for those of you who want to try it out without having to buy a bulk order. Find them here.
  • Set of 12 for $8 (includes free shipping to the US) - Use these to make one board for each month. Or my personal favorite, get two sets and use like I have or to make an easel for each month.
If you are looking for mini calendars pop over to the "Printables" page and pick up a downloadable one.

Have a fabulous day, and happy crafting!
-Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright and Disclaimer

All images are the sole property of Sherry Espinoza unless otherwise stated. All content is the sole responsibility of Sherry Espinoza. When sharing information from this blog you must credit Sherry Espinoza at mycraftedcharm.com
Powered by Blogger.